[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 35/35] ppc: Include vga cirrus card into the comp
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 35/35] ppc: Include vga cirrus card into the compiling process
Wed, 04 Jul 2018 11:29:09 +0200
Am 2018-07-04 07:56, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
Right, but as the patch submitter it's your responsibility to ensure
that your patch doesn't break other people's machines and/or follow up
with the appropriate patches. If you're not willing to do that then we
should revert the patch in its current form until a better way forward
has been found.
Of course, I will come up with a follow up patch that will hopefully fix
the problem (hopefully, as I simply have no clue how to test if some
platforms break if it is not covered by 'make check', though I
appreciate any hints on doing this as well). That's not the question. My
question is what the scope of the patch actually should be. I mentioned
two possible ways of proceeding.
Last but not least, all of the targets should still work as before if
you use -vga std option.
Except that -vga std has been the default for these machines for a
long time, and it's going to be me that will get a large majority of
the complaints if this behaviour changes.
I fully agree that -vga std makes the most sense, but why does QEMU
prefer the Cirrus one over vga then when there seems to be some
agreement that Cirrus is obsolete and many machines don't work with
My patch did not deliberately set a different -vga default, it is
actually coded that way in QEMU and a side-effect of the inclusion: For
any machine prefer the Cirrus card if it is available as default -vga.
Should my patch address this (i.e., to lower the pri of the cirrus)?
Or should my patch add further exceptions to the respective machines?
It is also possible to do the latter now (as release is imminent) and
schedule the former the next dev cycle.
[Qemu-devel] [PULL 26/35] ppc4xx_i2c: Rewrite to model hardware more closely, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
[Qemu-devel] [PULL 29/35] ppc440_uc: Basic emulation of PPC440 DMA controller, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
[Qemu-devel] [PULL 30/35] target/ppc/kvm: get rid of kvm_get_fallback_smmu_info(), David Gibson, 2018/07/03
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/35] ppc-for-3.0 queue 20180703, Peter Maydell, 2018/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 23/35] target/ppc: Implement the rest of gen_st_atomic, (continued)
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 23/35] target/ppc: Implement the rest of gen_st_atomic, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 24/35] fpu_helper.c: fix setting FPSCR[FI] bit, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 34/35] target/ppc: Relax reserved bitmask of indexed store instructions, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 33/35] target/ppc: set is_jmp on ppc_tr_breakpoint_check, David Gibson, 2018/07/03
- [Qemu-devel] [PULL 35/35] ppc: Include vga cirrus card into the compiling process, David Gibson, 2018/07/03