qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 22/25] linux-user: Implement signals for openr

From: Stafford Horne
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL v2 22/25] linux-user: Implement signals for openrisc
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 08:02:36 +0900

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 05:22:15PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 07/04/2018 03:54 PM, Richard Henderson wrote:
> > On 07/03/2018 04:51 PM, Stafford Horne wrote:
> > > Richard, how do you usually remove these before your pr?  I suppose you
> > > have
> > > some kind of script?
> >
> > No, I just edit the things by hand.
>
> I do it by always using 'git am' to suck in patches from the mailing list,
> including my own patches, and even if I already have the patch locally.
> That is, my workflow for PR bypasses my local work tree to ensure I don't
> leave local artifacts around in the PR.

Hi Eric,

How do you carry the Change list for each patch brought in with 'git am' i.e.
v2,v3 when you have updates that need respin?  Do you just update that manually
on the .patch files after 'git format-patch'?

I found and tried `git notes` recently which seems to be meant for this.

>From 'git help notes'

   Notes can also be added to patches prepared with git format-patch by
   using the --notes option. Such notes are added as a patch commentary
   after a three dash separator line.

However, I found the notes get lots pretty easily during rebases and would not
survive a 'git am'.

I am sure many have their own methods that work.  So far I have been doing
manually just updating the .patch files after 'format-patch'.

-Stafford