[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 7/7] virtio-balloon: VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_FREE_P
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 7/7] virtio-balloon: VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_FREE_PAGE_HINT
Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:30:03 +0800
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.7.0
On 12/14/2018 05:56 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Wei Wang (address@hidden) wrote:
On 12/13/2018 11:45 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Wei Wang (address@hidden) wrote:
The new feature enables the virtio-balloon device to receive hints of
guest free pages from the free page vq.
A notifier is registered to the migration precopy notifier chain. The
notifier calls free_page_start after the migration thread syncs the dirty
bitmap, so that the free page optimization starts to clear bits of free
pages from the bitmap. It calls the free_page_stop before the migration
thread syncs the bitmap, which is the end of the current round of ram
save. The free_page_stop is also called to stop the optimization in the
case when there is an error occurred in the process of ram saving.
Note: balloon will report pages which were free at the time of this call.
As the reporting happens asynchronously, dirty bit logging must be
enabled before this free_page_start call is made. Guest reporting must be
disabled before the migration dirty bitmap is synchronized.
Signed-off-by: Wei Wang <address@hidden>
CC: Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden>
CC: Dr. David Alan Gilbert <address@hidden>
CC: Juan Quintela <address@hidden>
CC: Peter Xu <address@hidden>
I think I'm OK for this from the migration side, I'd appreciate
someone checking the virtio and aio bits.
I'm not too sure how it gets switched on and off - i.e. if we get a nice
new qemu on a new kernel, what happens when I try and migrate to the
same qemu on an older kernel without these hints?
This feature doesn't rely on the host kernel. Those hints are reported from
the guest kernel.
So migration across different hosts wouldn't affect the use of this feature.
Please correct me if I didn't get your point.
Ah OK, yes; now what about migrating from new->old qemu with a new
guest but old machine type?
I think normally, the source QEMU and destination QEMU should have the same
QEMU booting parameter. If the destination QEMU doesn't support
"--device virtio-balloon,free-page-hint=true", which the source QEMU
destination side QEMU will fail to boot, and migration will not happen then.
But I think there is still an option to make the migration possible. The
can be set to false via e.g. QMP on the source side, then the
destination side QEMU
can boot without "free-page-hint".
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 0/7] virtio-balloon: free page hint support, Michael S. Tsirkin, 2018/12/14
- Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 1/7] bitmap: fix bitmap_count_one, (continued)
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 3/7] migration: use bitmap_mutex in migration_bitmap_clear_dirty, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 2/7] bitmap: bitmap_count_one_with_offset, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 4/7] migration: API to clear bits of guest free pages from the dirty bitmap, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 5/7] migration/ram.c: add a notifier chain for precopy, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 6/7] migration/ram.c: add the free page optimization enable flag, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v11 7/7] virtio-balloon: VIRTIO_BALLOON_F_FREE_PAGE_HINT, Wei Wang, 2018/12/11