qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Set up github repo for pmon sources

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Set up github repo for pmon sources
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 12:53:01 -0500

On 3/15/19 9:06 PM, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> https://github.com/Randrianasulu/pmon/commits/2014
>
> hopefully it will stay this way.
>
> Anyone know what license I must pick for this?
> 3-clause BSD? 4-clause BSD? (from Copyright file it lists 4 terms)

4-clause BSD is incompatible with the GPL, and thus cannot be used for
qemu.  (2-clause and 3-clause are okay, though).

> ------------------------
> *      $Id: Copyright,v 1.1.1.1 2006/09/14 01:59:06 root Exp $ */
>
> /*
>  * Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Opsycon AB  (www.opsycon.se)
>  * Copyright (c) 2000 Rtmx, Inc   (www.rtmx.com)
>  * Copyright (c) 2001 ipUnplugged AB (www.ipunplugged.com)
>  *
>  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>  * are met:
>  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>  *    must display the following acknowledgement:
>  *      This product includes software developed for Rtmx, Inc by
>  *      Opsycon Open System Consulting AB, Sweden.
>  *      This product includes software developed by Opsycon AB.
>  *      This product includes software developed by ipUnplugged AB.

Indeed, this is the advertising clause of the 4-clause BSD, which
renders this license unsuitable for use with GPL projects.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226