qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Set up github repo for pmon sources

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Set up github repo for pmon sources
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 23:10:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
В сообщении от Saturday 16 March 2019 20:53:01 вы написали:
On 3/15/19 9:06 PM, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
https://github.com/Randrianasulu/pmon/commits/2014

hopefully it will stay this way.

Anyone know what license I must pick for this?
3-clause BSD? 4-clause BSD? (from Copyright file it lists 4 terms)

4-clause BSD is incompatible with the GPL, and thus cannot be used for
qemu.  (2-clause and 3-clause are okay, though).

------------------------
*      $Id: Copyright,v 1.1.1.1 2006/09/14 01:59:06 root Exp $ */

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Opsycon AB  (www.opsycon.se)
 * Copyright (c) 2000 Rtmx, Inc   (www.rtmx.com)
 * Copyright (c) 2001 ipUnplugged AB (www.ipunplugged.com)
 *
 * are met:
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *      This product includes software developed for Rtmx, Inc by
 *      Opsycon Open System Consulting AB, Sweden.
 *      This product includes software developed by Opsycon AB.
 *      This product includes software developed by ipUnplugged AB.

Indeed, this is the advertising clause of the 4-clause BSD, which
renders this license unsuitable for use with GPL projects.

Ow. Ok, then I just leave it as-is, github already showing this text as license,
and while qemu as project can't use this firmware - users still can.

Also, there seems to be another pmon branch on github:
https://github.com/jcowgill/pmon-loongson - but I haven't tested it.

And also two more linked from here:
https://www.opsycon.se/pmon2000

Probably there are even more but none with an easy to build pmon.bin for fulong2e board I know of, or one that matches the pmon_2e.bin banary available which seems to be the original firmware of the board. Therefore providing a tested firmware from QEMU would simplify user's life trying this board. So at least we could gather this info somewhere on qemu.org.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

Morever, what lives in
http://www.anheng.com.cn/loongson/pmon/updates.lemote.com/files/upload/lm/firmware/pmon/source/

seems to be THIRD branch of pmon, at least radeon-specific file is different,
and apparently solved bug I solved independently. (there was confusion between
Bytes per pixel and Bits per pixel)

 * 4. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
 *    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
 *