qemu-devel

Re: Python 2 and test/vm/netbsd

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Python 2 and test/vm/netbsd
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:44:39 +0200

  Hi,

> > Running with V=1, I see packages being downloaded at reasonable speeds, but
> > there's a huge interval (of various minutes) between each package download.
>
> I've found the cause for the slowness I'm seeing: for each file
> being downloaded, the guest spents at least 75 seconds trying to
> connect to the IPv6 address of ftp.NetBSD.org, before trying
> IPv4.

Ah, that nicely explains why it worked just fine for me.  First, I have
a local proxy configured so the installer isn't going to connect to
ftp.NetBSD.org directly.  Second I have IPv6 connectivity.

> I don't know if this is a NetBSD bug, or a slirp bug.

Both I'd say ...

First, by default slirp should not send IPv6 router announcements
to the user network if the host has no IPv6 connectivity.

Second, the recommended way to connect is to try ipv4 and ipv6 in
parallel, then use whatever connects first.  Web browsers typically
do it that way.  wget and curl don't do that though, they try one
address after the other, and I guess this is where the delay comes
from ...

cheers,
  Gerd