qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 09/10] Clean up Radeon Header files

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [RFC 09/10] Clean up Radeon Header files
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:42:28 +0100 (CET)

From: Aaron Dominick <address@hidden>

---

Your commit message is poor. You should have clearly explained what do you
do in this cleanup, and why.

That the commit message is not helpful is the smallest problem. Clearly there are more to improve in this series but please bear with new contributors who may need to get used to the workflow with git and QEMU patch submission and don't scare them away by criticising small problems without helping them.

This whole series is RFC and was stated in the original cover letter of the v1 series that this is work in progress submitted for enquiring about the direction taken not meant to be finished. That said it's still hard to review in this state so some improvements are needed. This v1 was an attempt for that but looks like it's not correct yet. I've found at least these problems:

- Series says it has 10 patches but I've only got 5-9 so it may have been edited by hand instead of properly using git format-patch.

- Patch 9 added to remove unneded headers at the end but that does not help to make Patch 5 more clear so this should be squashed into patch 5 instead (try git rebase -i and squash patches 5 and 9 so we end up with only the necessary files added instead of one patch adding them and another removing them later).

- The resulting patch 5 (that should really be 1) should be split into two: one copying existing files without modifying them and another patch adding new headers to make it clear what changes are made that is hard to find if copying and modifying files are done in the same patch.

As for the original question if this is the right direction I can't really tell but I think it may be but to make it work we will need to implement Microengine (aka. command processor/CCE/PM4) that reads packets from a shared memory buffer and converts them to register accesses but it's not documented so either we can get some info about it from somewhere (maybe AMD) or manage to reverse engineer the microcode or just implement its functionality not modeling the actual microengine the real card has but only do packet parsing that it should do.

There was another question about GART which I can't answer not knowing much about it but maybe we only need the addresses and then the device can access system memory directly so we don't need to model the whole IOMMU/DMA but I'm not sure what GART is used for so I may be wrong. Comments from those who know more about ATI GPUs are welcome.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan