qemu-devel

Re: CPU reset vs DeviceState reset

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: CPU reset vs DeviceState reset
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:41:31 +0000

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 17:45, Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:

> My impression is that this is just historical legacy, but I'm not
> sure how much work a conversion to the new system would require.
> I see lots of cpu_reset() calls scattered around the code.

I think we can just make the cpu_reset() function be a
wrapper that calls device_cold_reset(DEVICE(cpu)).
We would need to update the prototypes for

> To make it worse, TYPE_CPU do have a DeviceClass::reset method
> implemented, but cpu_reset() won't call it because it bypasses
> the Device reset system completely.  I will do some git
> archaeology work to try to find out why the code is this way.

At least for Arm CPUs, I don't think it does (well, it
has the default DeviceState base class reset method
which does nothing). Is there somewhere I missed?

(I'm currently attempting to wrestle Coccinelle into
doing the conversion of the target/ code automatically.)

thanks
-- PMM