qemu-devel

Re: Failing property setters + hardwired devices + -global = a bad day

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Failing property setters + hardwired devices + -global = a bad day
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:27:07 +0100

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 08:09, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> Our means to configure onboard devices are weak.  We sidestepped this
> for isa-fdc by taking it off the board, and thus make -device work.

This seems to be a general dynamic: the x86 pc machine works
via -device options (or is changed so it can work that way);
and then people propose dropping/deprecating/etc the config
options that work with onboard devices, without providing
clear solutions/instructions on how the command line needs
to change/etc for the mass of boards which are not the x86
pc machine and which do have a lot of onboard devices which
can't be handled via -device.

So my gut reaction to the "we should deprecate -global"
suggestions in this thread was a bit "here we go again"...
What works for x86 or even "what is sufficient for libvirt"
doesn't necessarily cover all the cases.

thanks
-- PMM