qemu-devel

Accessing the Metal graphics API with OSX as VM client

From: Trystan Larey-Williams
Subject: Accessing the Metal graphics API with OSX as VM client
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:01:04 -0700

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a sense of where QEMU headed in terms of supporting Apple's Metal API. Apple will likely be removing OpenGL support entirely from OSX, perhaps as early as the next major release of OSX in Sep/Oct. Information on support for graphics acceleration on an OSX client using Metal instead of OpenGL seems non-existent. From the QEMU documentation I gather there are a few ways to 'pass through' a device natively to the VM. Would this be the only way to currently access Metal on OSX? Has anyone actually tried this?

Thanks,
Trystan