qemu-devel

Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Possible regression with VGA and resolutions in Windows 10?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 16:10:32 +0200

  Hi,

> The behavior is similar when setting a custom resolution with the xres
> and yres parameters. Setting it the first time works fine and it is
> shown along with the short list. Setting it to something different on
> the next boot will not be recognized unless the display adapter is
> uninstalled and the VM rebooted.

Interesting.  Seems Windows caches the list of resolutions (or the edid
blob) somewhere in the registry instead of loading it on every boot.
I've seen simliar behavior with usb device info.

[ something for the 5.1 release notes I think, thanks for testing this ]

That still leaves the question open why the list of resolutions is that
short  It should be more like this:

# qemu-edid | edid-decode | grep @
  640x480@60Hz
  800x600@60Hz
  1024x768@60Hz
  2048x1152@60Hz
  1920x1080@60Hz
    VIC 101 4096x2160@50Hz
    VIC  96 3840x2160@50Hz
    VIC  89 2560x1080@50Hz
    VIC  31 1920x1080@50Hz

Seems windows filters out a bunch for some reason ...

take care,
  Gerd