qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [RFC] QEMU as Xcode project on macOS
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 15:41:02 +0200

On 09/09/2020 14.56, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> I've recently been thinking about how feasible a stripped down Xcode project
> for QEMU would be, i.e. you just get the QEMU sources, click on
> qemu.xcodeproj, Cmd + B, done. No extra installation, no configure, nothing.

Meson seems to have some exporter for Xcode according to
https://mesonbuild.com/IDE-integration.html ... maybe you can harness
that feature somehow?

> The question is, and I don't have the big picture of QEMU yet to judge that,
> how much is auto generated for QEMU i.e. with custom scripts that would
> probably destroy this plan? There are these trace calls that are auto
> generated, is there more like the TCG part for instance?

Yes, I think we generate code in a couple of places, e.g. the code in
target/s390x/ uses a "gen-features" helper to generate some code. So
implementing a separate Xcode project that does not use the main build
files does not sound very appealing.

 Thomas