qemu-devel

Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 18:44:09 +0100

Thomas <74cmonty@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to emulate Rpi with QEMU.
> I found
> [url=1]this[/url]
> arcticle in Raspberry Pi Geek documenting the steps including persistent
> storage on host.
>
> However when starting the emulation with command
> qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -serial stdio -hda
> 2020-08-20-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.img -net
> "user,hostfwd=tcp::5022-:22" -dtb versatile-pb-buster.dtb -kernel
> kernel-qemu-5.4.51-buster -append "root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 rw
> panic=1" -no-reboot

Let's start with the fact you are using a versatilepb machine type with
a versatilepb dtb and not the rasppi model. The manual goes into more
details about why you can't generally share kernels built for one ARM
system on another:

  https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/system/target-arm.html

Since that article was written we have added models for the -M raspi2
and -M raspi3 which might work better with a kernel written for it
although the emulation isn't complete.

--
Alex Bennée