qemu-devel

Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Emulate Rpi with QEMU fails
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 10:58:46 +0100

Thomas Schneider <74cmonty@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Paul,
>
> many thanks for sharing this info.
>
> Can you confirm that the emulated RPi with your command will use
> "internal QEMU" network, means the client cannot be accessed from any
> other device in LAN?

The support for user-mode and TAP networking is orthogonal to the
emulated device. However if you only want a few ports it's quite easy to
use port forwarding, e.g:

  -netdev user,id=unet,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22

which forwards 2222 to port 22 on the device. I have an alias in
.ssh/config for accessing my QEMU devices.

> If yes, what is required to setup a TAP connected to host's network
> bridge?

I'll defer to others for this but generally when I want proper bridged
networking for a VM I use virt-manager/libvirt to configure it because
it can be quite fiddly to do by hand.

--
Alex Bennée