qemu-devel

Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 18:03:26 +0100

On 11/02/20 15:26, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 02:57:49PM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>>> A bot could do this.
>>
>> I think a "bug traffic" mailing list (possibly but not necessarily
>> separate from the main qemu development list) is important.
>
> What benefit is there to a bug traffic mailing list, as opposed to people
> subscribing to direct bug notifications ? In both case people who are
> interested in watching bugs can get the same content in their inboxes.

People never subscribed to a particular bug can retroactively learn --
when it turns into an interest for them -- about actions on the bug,
over time. Bug tracker web UIs do not always present such a view. (IOW
it's not interchangeable with retroactively opening the ticket and
reading through it.)

Additionally, mailing list archives can be imported locally, for
indexing / searching, etc. Nothing beats a local search engine that has
access to years of bug traffic. Google may come somewhat close; bug
trackers' own search functionalities are hopeless in comparison (IME).

Thanks
Laszlo