qemu-devel

Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Migrating to the gitlab issue tracker
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 15:50:06 +0000

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 10:44:42AM -0500, John Snow wrote:
> On 11/5/20 1:14 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:

> > [...]
> > > OK. I will try to investigate using the Launchpad API to pull our
> > > existing information, and then using the Gitlab API to re-create them.
> >
> > Before we migrate hundreds of bugs around, I think we should first check
> > which ones are stale, and which are still valid. So for all bugs that are in
> > "New" state and older than, let's say 2 years, I think we should add a
> > message a la:
> >
> >   The QEMU project is currently considering to move its bug tracking to
> > another system. For this we need to know which bugs are still valid and
> > which could be closed already. Thus we are setting all older bugs to
> > "Incomplete" now. If you still think this bug report here is valid, then
> > please switch the state back to "New" within the next 60 days, otherwise
> > this report will be marked as "Expired". Thank you and sorry for the
> > inconvenience.
> >

> One reason to NOT do this is that if the bug does wind up being legitimate
> -- perhaps it is still a top google hit for searching a particular error
> string -- once we have migrated, there will be no recourse for the hapless
> googler.

AFAIK, Google will index closed bugs, so they'll still appear in the
search results.

If we really want to, we could put a comment in the bugs we're about
to close, telling people that we're using gitlab now, and to re-file
their bug there if they care about it. I'm not sure that's needed
though, since it is no different a situation to what we have already
with the 1000's of bugs we've closed over the years.

> We can leave a generic forwarder to the new tracker once we migrate, but
> there's no way to "re-open" the issue. If someone re-files on the new
> tracker, they won't be able to update the bug to leave a new breadcrumb.
>
> However, if we migrate the bug first, we can leave breadcrumbs on the old
> tracker pointing to the new one, and then if the bug winds up being
> legitimate, googlers can follow the breadcrumb to the gitlab issue and
> either update that bug, reopen it, etc.

IMHO they can just file a fresh bug in GitLab from scratch easily
enough by just copy+pasting the existin bug description. I don't
see a benefit in creating 100's of bugs in GitLab that we will
immediately close as being stale.

Regards,
Daniel