qemu-devel

Re: virtiofsd-rs: A rust virtiofs daemon

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: virtiofsd-rs: A rust virtiofs daemon
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 13:59:09 +0000

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 12:34:10PM +0000, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>   Sergio has been working on virtiofsd-rs, a virtiofs daemon
> written in rust, and which can be found at:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/virtiofsd-rs
>
> It started life originally as part of the crosvm project, got
> ported to vhost-user as part of the Cloud Hypervisor project, and
> has now been split out.
>
> While the C version of virtiofsd isn't going away for now, the hope
> is to stabilise virtiofsd-rs, add some missing features and start
> preferentially adding new features and new work onto the Rust version
> rather than the C version.
>
> So please try it, and let the list (and Sergio!) know how you get on.

Awesome, really happy that the Rust daemon has come so far. Thanks
Chirantan, Sebastien, Sergio, and everyone else who developed it.

I talked to Sergio and he is currently looking at what's missing for
feature parity with C virtiofsd. This is an opportunity for anyone who
wants to contribute.

Stefan