qemu-devel

Re: tb_flush() calls causing long Windows XP boot times

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: tb_flush() calls causing long Windows XP boot times
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:22:48 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> writes:

> On 11/06/21 17:01, Programmingkid wrote:
>> Hello Alex,
>> The good news is the source code to Windows XP is available
>> online:https://github.com/cryptoAlgorithm/nt5src
>
> It's leaked, so I doubt anybody who's paid to work on Linux or QEMU
> would touch that with a ten-foot pole.

Indeed.

Anyway what the OP could do is run QEMU with gdb and -d nochain and
stick a breakpoint (sic) in breakpoint_invalidate. Then each time it
hits you can examine the backtrace to cpu_loop_exec_tb and collect the
data from tb->pc. Then you will have a bunch of addresses in Windows
that keep triggering the behaviour. You can then re-run with -dfilter
and -d in_asm,cpu to get some sort of idea of what Windows is up to.

--
Alex Bennée