qemu-devel

RE: vulkan support in qemu with virgil

From: Kasireddy, Vivek
Subject: RE: vulkan support in qemu with virgil
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 19:32:55 +0000

Hi Tomeu,

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 03:09:21PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > At Collabora we have started looking at Vulkan support in QEMU with Virgil.
> >
> > We have seen the work that Vivek has submitted to support the new virtio-gpu
> > BLOB API (thanks!) and have identified a few holes that are still needed for
> > Vulkan support.
> >
> > We would like to know if anybody else is working on Vulkan support or on
> > common tasks such as host-side blobs, CONTEXT_INIT, CROSS_DEVICE,
> > HOST_VISIBLE, venus capsets,
[Kasireddy, Vivek] Nope; I am not aware of anyone working on these features for
Qemu. Our
focus is mainly on Passthrough (and Headless) GPUs for which Virgl is not
needed. However,
I am assuming you are already collaborating with CrossVM folks on the
implementation of
these features in Virtio-gpu Linux Guest driver?

>> a new DisplayChangeListenerOps implementation,
[Kasireddy, Vivek] Could you please elaborate on this? Which backend are you
planning to
add? I am working on adding a plain and simple Wayland UI backend for Qemu to
reduce the
GPU Blits:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-06/msg06482.html

The above version does not have keyboard and mouse support added but I do have
a version
which does and it is more or less working. However, the only problem I have run
into with this
backend is:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/514

Not sure if you'd run into a similar issue with your use-case or interested in
the Wayland UI
backend but I am currently working on trying to come up with a plan to decouple
OUT_FENCE
signalling from atomic pageflip completion event as suggested by Weston
upstream (Pekka) to
fix the above issue.

Thanks,
Vivek