qemu-devel

Re: How to backtrace an separate stack?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: How to backtrace an separate stack?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:30:35 -0700

Florian> I'm a bit surprised by this.  Conceptually, why would GDB need to know
Florian> about stack boundaries?  Is there some heuristic to detect broken
Florian> frames?

Yes, the infamous "previous frame inner to this frame" error message.  I
think this is primarily intended to detect stack trashing, but maybe it
also serves to work around bad debuginfo or bugs in the unwinders.

This error was disabled for cases where the GCC split stack feature is
used.  There's been requests to disable it in other cases as well, I
think.

Tom