qemu-devel

Re: What is the correct way to handle the VirtIO config space in vhost-u

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: What is the correct way to handle the VirtIO config space in vhost-user?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 10:31:51 +0000

On Mon, Mar 07, 2022 at 12:09:59PM +0000, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]

> >> I wonder when the last time this was tested was because since 1c3e5a2617
> >> (vhost-user: back SET/GET_CONFIG requests with a protocol feature) the
> >> check in vhost_user_backend_init is:
> >>
> >>    if (!dev->config_ops || !dev->config_ops->vhost_dev_config_notifier) {
> >>        /* Don't acknowledge CONFIG feature if device doesn't support it */
> >>        dev->protocol_features &= ~(1ULL << VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG);
> >>    } else if (!(protocol_features &
> >>                (1ULL << VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG))) {
> >>        error_setg(errp, "Device expects VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG "
> >>                   "but backend does not support it.");
> >>        return -EINVAL;
> >>    }
> >>
> >> which means I don't think it ever asks the vhost-user backend.
> >
> > Can you describe what you have in mind? The issue isn't clear to me.
>
> I had to patch out that config_ops check to get the get_config over
> vhost to work. Otherwise QEMU keeps complaining:
>
>   qemu-system-aarch64: VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG not supported
>
> because it itself has squashed the feature in the vhost protocol
> negotiation.

I see. Currently QEMU only allows 2 cases:
1. No VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG
2. VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG with config change notifications
   implemented by VirtIODevice

You are adding another (valid) case:
3. VHOST_USER_PROTOCOL_F_CONFIG without config change notifications
   implemented by VirtIODevice

Some device types never use config change notifications so I think
you're correct and QEMU's check is too restrictive.

Stefan