qemu-devel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 7.0.0-rc4 is now available

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 7.0.0-rc4 is now available
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 20:14:18 +0200

Am 13.04.22 um 02:44 schrieb Michael Roth:
A note from the maintainer:

   rc4 contains three fixes for late-breaking security bugs. The plan
   is to make the final 7.0 release in a week's time on the 19th April,
   with no further changes, unless we discover some last-minute
   catastrophic problem.

You can help improve the quality of the QEMU 7.0 release by testing this
release and reporting bugs using our GitLab issue tracker:

QEMU 7.0 seems to trigger an issue with makensis which is used for building the QEMU installer for Windows: it terminates with different kinds to errors (SIGBUS, SIGSEGV and mmap related errors) depending on the details of the build environment.

I currently think that this is related to the total size of the installed components which exceeds 2 GiB. Maybe a 32 bit int value is used somewhere in makensis.

A simple workaround is removing /SOLID in qemu.nsi, but that increases the size of the installer significantly.

Stripping the executables might also help to stay below the critical size.

I'm sorry that I missed sending patches to add qemu-storage-daemon.exe to qemu.nsi and for some format strings in calls of vu_panic. I don't think those are critical for the release.

Kind regards,
Stefan