qemu-devel

Re: [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 7.0.0-rc4 is now available

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] QEMU 7.0.0-rc4 is now available
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:01:26 +0100

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 at 19:14, Stefan Weil <sw@weilnetz.de> wrote:

> Am 13.04.22 um 02:44 schrieb Michael Roth:
> > A note from the maintainer:
> >
> >    rc4 contains three fixes for late-breaking security bugs. The plan
> >    is to make the final 7.0 release in a week's time on the 19th April,
> >    with no further changes, unless we discover some last-minute
> >    catastrophic problem.
> >
> > You can help improve the quality of the QEMU 7.0 release by testing this
> > release and reporting bugs using our GitLab issue tracker:
>
> QEMU 7.0 seems to trigger an issue with makensis which is used for
> building the QEMU installer for Windows: it terminates with different
> kinds to errors (SIGBUS, SIGSEGV and mmap related errors) depending on
> the details of the build environment.

Unfortunately our CI doesn't notice this because although it
builds the installer it doesn't do it for an "all targets at
once" config, only for a couple of "some targets, not all" builds.

> I currently think that this is related to the total size of the
> installed components which exceeds 2 GiB. Maybe a 32 bit int value is
> used somewhere in makensis.

Searching around it does seem like there's a 2GB limit to
the installer, that's been known about for some years.
(There's a fork 'nsisbi' which raises it to 4GB.)

> Stripping the executables might also help to stay below the critical size.

That seems like it would be a good idea anyway -- does it
have any downsides ?

I think we probably can't really fix this for 7.0, unfortunately:
we found it too late.

thanks
-- PMM