qemu-devel

Re: Create qemu-project/py-qemu.qmp repo

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Create qemu-project/py-qemu.qmp repo
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 17:00:16 -0400

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022, 2:00 PM Andrea Bolognani <abologna@redhat.com> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 12:46:48PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
> Hi Alex: do you have the ability to create a blank/empty "py-qemu.qmp"
> repo under the qemu-project grouping, and add me and Cleber as
> maintainers for it? There weren't any objections when I floated the
> idea [1].
>
> (Though I suggested "py-qemu.qmp" and Dan suggested "python-qemu.qmp".
> I don't think we explicitly reconciled the difference. I like the
> shorter one.)

Since you CC'd me to this message, I'm going to assume you're
explicitly welcoming my input on what specific shade this bikeshed
should be painted ;)

More of a "Speak now or forever hold your peace" 😅

I think I would go with "python-qemu-qmp". Having a dot in the name
of a git repo is not very common AFAICT, and I wouldn't rule out the
possibility of some GitLab feature or other tooling breaking or
misbehaving because of it.

If you're really keen on saving those few extra keystrokes, maybe
"pyqemu" is a better prefix than "py-qemu"? I don't know, it just
looks more natural to me.

The idea is to have the repo name resemble the Python package name, which is "qemu.qmp". For Python, it's customary to have the package name match the import name. The import name is "qemu.qmp".

I tested this name on GitLab and it appears to work just fine.

I'd add "py:" as a prefix, but the colon doesn't work as a filename in many places, so I suggested "py-".

Thus, all together, "py-qemu.qmp".

(I could spell out "python", I just prefer the shorter prefix because it's explanatory enough as-is and I like keeping git checkout names short. My favorite color of bike shed is blue.)