qemu-devel

Re: Announcement of aborting HAXM maintenance

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: Announcement of aborting HAXM maintenance
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:33:31 +0100

Am 19.01.23 um 11:12 schrieb Daniel P. Berrangé:
On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 03:56:04AM +0000, Wang, Wenchao wrote:
Hi, Philippe,

Intel decided to abort the development of HAXM and the maintenance
of its QEMU part. Should we submit a patch to mark the Guest CPU
Cores (HAXM) status as Orphan and remove the maintainers from the
corresponding list? Meanwhile, should the code enabling HAX in QEMU
once committed by the community be retained?

If you no longer intend to work on QEMU bits related to HAXM, then
yes, you should send a patch for the MAINTAINERS file to remove you
name and mark it as "Orphan" status.

We would not normally delete code from QEMU, merely because it has
been orphaned. If it is still known to work then we would retain
it indefinitely, unless some compelling reason arises to drop it.
This gives time for any potential users to adjust their plans,
and/or opportunity for other interested people to take over the
maintenance role.

HAXM will not only be no longer maintained in QEMU, but also the necessary framework for macOS and Windows will be retired. See https://github.com/intel/haxm#status on their GitHub page. As stated there, macOS provides HVF which can be used instead of HAXM, and Windows users can use WHPX. Both HVF and WHPX are supported by QEMU. As far as I know HAXM could only provide a limited RAM size (2 GiB?). Maybe it still has more deficits. And unmaintained HAXM drivers for macOS and Windows might be a security risk, too. It is also not clear whether the last downloads of those drivers will be available in the future.

Therefore I'd prefer to remove the whole HAXM code in QEMU soon, even in a minor update for this special case.

Stefan