qemu-devel

Re: MSYS2 and libfdt

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: MSYS2 and libfdt
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 09:31:54 +0100

On 19/01/2023 09.56, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

   Hi all,

in some spare minutes, I started playing with a patch to try to remove the
dtc submodule from the QEMU git repository - according to
https://repology.org/project/dtc/versions our supported build platforms
should now all provide the minimum required version.

However, I'm hitting a problem with Windows / MSYS2 in the CI jobs: The
libfdt is packaged as part of the dtc package there:

   https://packages.msys2.org/package/dtc

... meaning that it is added with a usr/include and usr/lib path prefix
instead of mingw64/include and mingw64/lib like other packages are using
(see e.g.
https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-zlib?repo=mingw64). Thus
the compiler does not find the library there. Also there does not seem to be
a difference between a i686 (32-bit) and x86_64 (64-bit) variant available
here? Does anybody know how libfdt is supposed to be used with MSYS2 ?

The msys environment is a bit special, it's not an environment for a
particular build target, my understanding is that it holds common
files/tools.

dtc should be added to https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages for it
to be available as a target dependency.

Do you have already any experience in requesting a new package there? Could you maybe do it? ... since I don't have a proper MinGW installation here, it would be very cumbersome for me right now.

 Thomas