qemu-devel

Re: MSYS2 and libfdt

From: Marc-André Lureau
Subject: Re: MSYS2 and libfdt
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:57:29 +0400

Hi Thomas

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 12:31 PM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 19/01/2023 09.56, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 12:31 PM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> >>

> >>    Hi all,
> >>
> >> in some spare minutes, I started playing with a patch to try to remove the
> >> dtc submodule from the QEMU git repository - according to
> >> https://repology.org/project/dtc/versions our supported build platforms
> >> should now all provide the minimum required version.
> >>
> >> However, I'm hitting a problem with Windows / MSYS2 in the CI jobs: The
> >> libfdt is packaged as part of the dtc package there:
> >>
> >>    https://packages.msys2.org/package/dtc
> >>
> >> ... meaning that it is added with a usr/include and usr/lib path prefix
> >> instead of mingw64/include and mingw64/lib like other packages are using
> >> (see e.g.
> >> https://packages.msys2.org/package/mingw-w64-x86_64-zlib?repo=mingw64).
> >> Thus
> >> the compiler does not find the library there. Also there does not seem to
> >> be
> >> a difference between a i686 (32-bit) and x86_64 (64-bit) variant available
> >> here? Does anybody know how libfdt is supposed to be used with MSYS2 ?
> >
> > The msys environment is a bit special, it's not an environment for a
> > particular build target, my understanding is that it holds common
> > files/tools.
> >
> > dtc should be added to https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages for it
> > to be available as a target dependency.
>
> Do you have already any experience in requesting a new package there? Could
> you maybe do it? ... since I don't have a proper MinGW installation here, it
> would be very cumbersome for me right now.

Here you go (although let see what CI has to say):
https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/pull/15168

The msys2 maintainers are usually very quick and helpful, in my experience.

(I sometime use a windev evaluation VM, that I import with the help of
https://github.com/elmarco/virt-install-windev)

--
Marc-André Lureau