[Qemu-discuss] using qemu to sandbox/trace a process and its children on

From: Peter Privus
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] using qemu to sandbox/trace a process and its children on linux
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 13:28:45 +0200

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use qemu to sandbox a program (on linux) such that it becomes possible to trace all system calls made by that program and its children.
(The program does not need to be a running process yet).

Until now, I've been using "strace" utility for that purpose, but it turns out that strace cannot be invoked recursively (you cannot invoke strace on a process that invokes strace itself; this is different from using the "-f" flag to strace).
So any tools I make that depend on strace essentially become "bad citizens" because they cannot be straced themselves, and I want to avoid that.

Thanks,
Peter