Re: [Qemu-discuss] using qemu to sandbox/trace a process and its childre

From: Angus Gardner
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] using qemu to sandbox/trace a process and its children on linux
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 23:22:08 +0000

Hi Peter,

Qemu is great for this kind of thing.  When you are running a VM in qemu you can access the ‘qemu monitor’ and perform lots of functions including VM snapshots, screenshots  of the console, ejecting cd’s etc.

In relation to your question you can also use the monitor to dump VM memory, dump CPU registers, or connect the VM to an external instance of GDB on the host machine.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Monitor

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLES/SLES-kvm_sd_draft/cha.qemu.monitor.html

This is kernel level debugging, not application level.  As such it will not be exactly what strace would produce.

I have found it easier to wrap a VM in Python to automate the monitor commands and some of the debugging.

http://www.biffer.talktalk.net/PyQemu/

HTH,

Gus