Re: [Qemu-discuss] FW: How to setup qemu as a server with different subd

From: Tony Su
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] FW: How to setup qemu as a server with different subdomain on a host server?
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 20:00:33 -0700

Your requirement to connect to any available network interface is why I've implemented User Mode Networking instead of binding to a pre-configured br device(I haven't found a way to satisfy the requirement using a pre-configured br).

Main caveat which I've submitted through my disto's bugzilla which may be passed upstream is that if the Host loses its network connection during or before the Guest boots, the Guest will auto re-configure looking for a traditional Virtual Network using a br device and User Mode Networking is permanently lost.

User Mode Networking is implemented either by vm manager without a configured network or specifying "-net user" in the command line.

Since User Mode Networking configures the Guest as behind the Host NAT, if you want to configure client access to the Guest you also need to configure forwarding and possibly name resolution.

IMO if you're setting up a Guest as a permanent Server, you should consider making the network connection permanent as well or put something in front that can manage varying network connections instead of configuring as I've suggested.

Tony