[Qemu-discuss] No GPU output (new window instead) although -vga none is

From: Valni
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] No GPU output (new window instead) although -vga none is used.
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:24:37 +0200

I do hope it's okey asking for support here. If that isn't the case: sorry :s

I've got a new system built up to manage a qemu/kvm session of Windows 7/8.1 and got the following hardware:
    - ASUS Z170-A (BIOS v.901)
    - I5 6600k (currently using it's integrated GPU for the host, but I'll switch for a GTX 650 as there are multi-monitor problems with the motherboard)
    - Radeon R9 290 reference (which I'm passing though, and, as far as I know, doesn't support UEFI firmware (if that matters))

From what I understand, both the host OS (Arch Linux x64) and qemu itself acknowledges the GPU being passed through. "list pci" in the qemu monitor lists a GPU and an audio controller with the same PCI device ID as listed on the host with "lspci -nnk". From what I can gather, qemu is managing the R9 290, but I might be wrong.

Anyway. I've got this script up for running the session. When it is run, instead of the GPU outputting video, I get a new window using somethng instead (it doesn't look the same as without "-vga none"): screenshot. However, there is some major flickering and I'm not able to boot into the graphical part of the Windows ISO as I can without "-vga none".

I'm at a stop here. Other users have reported success with the same method and script as mentioned here. Any ideas?

Great thanks in advance.