Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5282 Support

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Coldfire 5282 Support
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 10:11:22 +0200

On 01.09.2017 21:03, William Mahoney wrote:
> Hello QEMU users.
>
> I am interested in looking into a port for the Motorola Coldfire 5282. I saw
> that others in the Coldfire family were supported, like the 5208 eval board
> and the 5206 as a bare CPU. When I started looking into it I saw that several
> files (e.g. coldfire/flexcan.h and coldfire/intctrl.h) mention CONFIG_M5282
> for conditional compilation. So I did:
>
> ./configure —prefix=(etc.etc.) —target-list=m68k-softmmu,m68k-linux-user
> —extra-cflags=‘-D CONFIG_M5282’
>
> and a make, and it churned away for a while. It built ivshmem-client and
> server, qemu-ga, emu-img, qemu-io, qemu-nbd, and qemu-system-m68k.
>
> I expected to have it build emu-m68k but it did not, just the -system-
> version.

It should be there - did you have a look at the m68k-linux-user directory?

> The qemu-system-m68k does not list the 5282 as a valid CPU, so obviously my
> define is not all that is required.
>
> So several questions.
>
> 1) Is there really 5282 support and if so…

No, QEMU does not provide 5282 support. If you've spotted a CONFIG_M5282
somewhere, that must have been in the sources of third party modules
like U-Boot which we include in the QEMU release tarballs. But that are
other projects, so you can not draw a conclusion from these submodules
on QEMU in general.

> 3) The documentation only talks about running a linux kernel but I want to
> run an image that already exists and is in the flash on the device.

QEMU has the "-bios" parameter for loading firmware images. However,
this is currently not wired up in the both Coldfire boards that QEMU can
emulate (the Arnewsh 5206 and the MCF5206EVB). But it should be rather
easy to add that if necessary, I guess.

You could also have a look at the "Generic Loader" device which can be
used to load blobs, too. Run
 m68k-softmmu/qemu-system-m68k -device loader,?
to have a look at the required parameters of the device.

 Thomas