Re: Add Custom Machine in Qemu-4.2.0 or newer

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Add Custom Machine in Qemu-4.2.0 or newer
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 14:49:29 +0000

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 14:39, abhijeet inamdar
<abhijeetinamdar3005@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate the Testing point (3) as I have never done any unit test so.

Look at some of the existing tests like the one I suggest,
write tests that do that kind of thing. "Unit test" here
just means "this is a test case that tests one specific
device from 'outside' without loading any guest binary".

> I have some general questions like the Ubuntu version I'm using is 16.04 LTS
> so for the latest QEMU will it be compatible?

No. That's an old and out-of-security-support Ubuntu so you should
upgrade it anyway. 18.04 is currently OK, but you might as well
move forward to 20.04 at this point.

> and for the debug is the real hardware(board) required or just can make
> happen within software?

If you have real hardware to compare behaviour against that can
be helpful, but it isn't necessary. The main thing you need is
to have full documentation for the hardware (devices and SoC).

-- PMM