qemu-ppc

Re: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?

From: Cédric Le Goater
Subject: Re: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:06:20 +0200

[ ... ]

> OpenBSD probably uses XIVE in a different way than Linux though.
If it is running under the skiboot firmware (Like on the Talos
system), it is necessarily using an OPAL interface, either the
P8 legacy interface (on top of XIVE HW) or the XIVE native
interface.

  https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/master/doc/opal-api/index.rst
  https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/master/doc/xive.rst

[ ... ]

> qemu-system-ppc64 -M powernv9 -cpu power9 -m 2G -smp 1 \
>                   -serial mon:stdio \
>                   -device ich9-ahci,id=ahci0,bus=pcie.0 \
>                   -device qemu-xhci,id=usb0,bus=pcie.2 \
>                   -bios /usr/local/share/qemu/skiboot.lid \
>                   -kernel ./pnor.BOOTKERNEL \
>                   -drive id=disk,file=miniroot70.img,if=none \
>                   -device ide-hd,bus=ahci0.0,drive=disk \
>                   -drive id=disk1,file=power.img,if=none \
>                   -device ide-hd,bus=ahci0.1,drive=disk1 \
>                   -device e1000e,bus=pcie.1
>
> miniroot70.img is the OpenBSD installer image that can be found at:
>
>   http://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/powerpc64/miniroot70.img
>
> power.img is the disk image to install on; you can probably leave that out.
>
> Not sure where I got pnor.BOOTKERNEL from anymore.

That's the file we would be interested in. I suppose this is the same
image used to boot the Talos ?

> This command boots into the installer, but hangs at the "Welcome to
> the OpenBSD installer" message.  It is supposed to print a prompt
> after that, but that never happens.

It shouldn't be too hard to debug with all the FW images.

[ ... ]

>> I thought the BSD folks were working on POWER9 baremetal support,
>> PowerNV platform, on top of OPAL/skiboot. Is that completed ?
>
> Yup. OpenBSD boots fine on the Raptor Talos/Blackbird machines that we have.

Great ! Where can we get the kernel/rootfs images loaded by skiboot ?
That would make a good acceptance test for the QEMU PowerNV machines.

Thanks,

C.