quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases

From: Ferran Jorba
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:32:26 +0200

Hi,

this is a question to the nonexistant quilt-users list:

I have been playing with quilt and I like it very much.  However, there is
an scenario that I don't know how to deal with, inasmuch I think that my case
is the typical for a quilt user.

I administer a local installation of an external free application; let's
call it thirdparty.  From time to time they publish a new release.  I'm not
a core developer; I don't work from their CVS repository (although I may
peak at it occasionally), but I may provide and send them some fixes and
I may have some local patches for myself.

My local directory is something like that:

 ~/download/thirdparty/thirdparty-0.5.0/
                                       /patches
                                       /.pc
 ~/download/thirdparty/thirdparty-0.7.0/
                                       /patches
                                       /.pc
 ~/download/thirdparty/thirdparty-0.7.1/

I don't know how to deal graciously with their upstream releases, as when I
untar them, they produce, as customary, a new directory.  How do I get my,
say, 0.7.0 patches and apply them to my 0.7.1?

Thanks for your advice, and keep up with this great tool,

Ferran