quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Applying local patches for new upstream releases
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:40:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Peter,

On 2005-10-11, Peter Williams answered:
> Having a quilt command to do it would make it easier from me to make
> this functionality available from gquilt :-)
>
> It also isolates the user from the implementation details.  I know this
> isn't as big an issue with the patches directory as for the rest of the
> implementation details but it's still an issue.

You're right. I never meant to suggest that an "archive" command was
not wanted, just that the patches/ subdirectory cleanup feature was
needed regardless of any "archive" command. You seem to agree on that.

> Also a logical extension to an "archive" command would be to have an
> option to import a archive into a directory.  Completing the
> functionality the original poster was requesting.

Agreed as well. I guess it would be a simple matter of invoking tar the
right way, with some safety checks to make sure we're not breaking
anything?

> I think this would be a useful feature regardless of whether there was
> an archive command.  Removal of no longer required back up files would
> also be useful.

I have been thinking of it, but on second thought, I can't think of a
scenario that would leave garbage in the .pc directory. Unless the user
goes manually hacking files, but then I guess he/she is on his/her own.

--
Jean Delvare