quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt pop, no fully restoring original copy

From: Jean-Yves Avenard
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt pop, no fully restoring original copy
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 14:38:19 +1000

Hi

2009/6/15 Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>:
> I can't guess from the output what the problem might be. Could you please try
> narrowing the problem down to a patch which modifies a single file, and send:
>
>  * the original file,
>  * the file after "quilt push",
>  * the output of "quilt files",
>  * the output of "quilt --trace pop",
>  * the resulting (corrupted) file.
>
> The --trace output will show you what quilt does internally; the problem
> likely is either that patch doesn't create the right backup files when doing
> the push, or that the version of he backup-files utility (which is part of
> quilt) is broken.

I've done more investigation on the matter ; and the issue is
localised to macos ..

Running quilt --trace pop and comparing the difference between the
version running on linux and the version running on the mac : and
there's no significant difference that I can notice (just path
differences).

The standard output however, does differ.
In the standard output, which has a lot of lines with:
Restoring filename.

Comparing the output of linux with macos, it shows that linux is
restoring more files than what macos does
It's those files that are not restored for some reasons.

I've compiled quilt 0.46 (Ubuntu 9.04 ships with 0.46), 0.47 and 0.48
as well as the MacPort package and the result is the same.

I tried to narrow the issue to only a few files, but I didn't manage
to reproduce the problem unless using a lot of files...

The patch files generated by quilt refresh are identical between linux
and macos.

http://www.avenard.org/files/quilt-test.tar.bz2

Is a copy of the trimmed directory and the patch file, as well as the
difference in output between running on linux and macos.
Got those logs with:
quilt --trace push -v 2> push.mac.trace > push.mac.output
quilt --trace pop -v 2> pop.mac.trace > pop.mac.output

(and using linux obviously when run on linux)

228 files that are properly restored in linux aren't restored on the mac.

Something screwy there ....
I can precisely pin point what's going on ...

Jean-Yves