quilt-dev

Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] verbose error message when the serie file does n

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch] verbose error message when the serie file does not exist
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 18:44:18 +0100

Hello Jean,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:40:36PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-03-24 at 11:08 +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > I just pushed a new test case to cover this situation, so we won't
> > introduce that kind of regression.
>
> By the way, this test case revealed a few inconsistencies. While most
> commands properly report "No series file found" if you are not in a
> quilt-managed tree, 3 commands diverge from this behavior:
>
> * "quilt pop" reports "No patch removed" instead, which while not
> incorrect, is not consistent.
>
> * "quilt series" report nothing. That's what Martin's patch aimed at
> fixing. I wonder it should report "No series file found" even when not
> in verbose mode? That would seem more consistent.
>
> * "quilt snapshot" creates a .pc/ subdirectory and an empty .snap/
> directory there. Again while not fundamentally wrong, it doesn't seem
> particularly useful in the absence of a series file.
>
> I'll look into fixing "pop" and "snapshot" to behave the same as all
> other commands.

Thanks for your investigation, Jean. quilt is lucky to have you: you
are doing a great job here. And I manage to mess even simple patches :)

IMHO, the only thing that is important to fix the former Debian bug is
that something is reported when using 'quilt series' out of a
quilt-managed tree. Reporting "No series file found" even when not in
verbose mode would be really perfect. I guess that whoever did that
patch back in 2014 wanted to reduce the divergence with upstream code,
thus reducing the visibility of the fix to verbose situations.

Thanks again,
Mt.

--
Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
it is the courage to continue that counts.    -- Churchill (?)