[RP] mouse stuff (you guys are gonna kill me for this one)

From: fist_187
Subject: [RP] mouse stuff (you guys are gonna kill me for this one)
Date: Mon Sep 22 08:20:14 2003

hi-

yes, i'm fully aware of the possible backlash from making feature requests involving the mouse. but hear me out on this one...

i've used ratpoison exclusively for over a year now because:
1. it doesnt waste processing time or screen space with window decorations, or any other crap
   2. my application windows never have to overlap EVER
3. its scriptable, so i can instantly (re)create the frameset for layouts i use often.

so as far as i'm concerned, being able to get by without the mouse is just a pleasant side effect. if my hands are on the keyboard, i can still switch through my applications & move them around by using keyboard shortcuts, where most other WM's would have me grab the mouse. cool.

but i'd like to suggest the following corollary:

say i'm surfing around with mozilla, so i have one hand on the mouse and the other on my keyboard. for whatever reason, i want to change frames... so what if i could just hit [C-t] and then left-mouse-click on the frame i wanted to make current? that would save me a step or 2.

you could do a lot of things with [C-t]+mouse-button combinations that make good navigational sense. for example:
[C-t]+leftmouse - select frame below cursor
[C-t]+rightmouse - same as "[C-t]:select -" on frame below cursor
[C-t]+middlemouse - same as "[C-t]:other" on frame below cursor
[C-t]+mwheelup - same as "[C-t]:prev" on frame below cursor
[C-t]+mwheeldown - same as "[C-t]:next" on frame below cursor

you get the idea. yes, ratpoision eliminates the dependence on the mouse... but that doesnt mean a mouse is useless. basically, i want the "freedom to leave my hands where they are" option that ratpoison gives to the keyboard... except applied to the mouse as well.

what do the rest of you think?
-ian