Re: [RP] clever hack to make firefox top of stack?

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: [RP] clever hack to make firefox top of stack?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:37:56 -0800

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:51:23AM -0500, Shawn Betts wrote:
Ted Walther <address@hidden> writes:

I have an instance of Firefox running.  firefox -remote seems to have
no problem finding the running instance and telling it to do stuff.

Is there some simple clever hack to raise the firefox instance to the
top of the stack in ratpoison?  The manpage for firefox doesn't seem
to have that option, and I'm not sure how reliable it is grepping for
the term "Firefox" in the window titles.

Doesn't something cheap like the following work?

ratpoison -c 'select firefox'

By the way here is some nifty bits from my .xbindkeysrc

ratpoison has top level bindings now. There's no longer any need for
xbindkeys.

Really?  You've fixed the problem with PrintScreen having two different
keycodes and only the first one being mapped to PrintScreen by
ratpoison?

Can I bind at the top level to arbitrary keycodes+modmaps?  xbindkeys
has a nifty utility that lets me press buttons on the keyboard and shows
me exactly what keycode it is, so I can use all those funky
mail/web/audio buttons on my M$ keyboard.

I'd really like the cutpaste-url script to raise firefox to the top
of hte window stack so I can see the URL I just pasted.

If you're running a new enough ratpoison you could add:

$RATPOISON -c 'select firefox'

the RATPOISON env var was added to 1.4 I think.

select firefox assumes the word "firefox" is somewhere in the windows
title.  I don't feel comfortable with that assumption.  What does
$RATPOISON do?  How does it work?  It expands to the pathname of the
ratpoison binary, right?  In which environment is it defined?

Also, how do I disable the automatic URL highlighting in emacs?  I
want to be able to double click an URL to "select" it, then press F12
at my leisure; sometimes I just want to select parts of an URL and
emacs current highlighting behavior is annoying.

If you're selecting text in emacs with the mouse you have bigger
problems to worry about.

I want to highlight an URL with the mouse in emacs then press F12 to
have a firefox tab pop open.  Or a Conkeror tab.  Is it still in
developement?  Works with the latest Firefox?

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973