Re: [RP] meta command strangeness

From: Mark Eichin
Subject: Re: [RP] meta command strangeness
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:31:08 -0400

I couldn't find the old "a2x" tool that did this (originally written
for using dragon dictate to drive X) but a quick look on ubuntu does
find this:

Control X from the command line for scripts, and do "visual scraping" to
find things on the screen. The control interface allows mouse movement,
clicking, button up/down, key up/down, etc, and uses the XTest extension so
you don't have the annoying problems that xse has when apps ignore sent
events. The visgrep program find images inside of images and reports the
coordinates, allowing programs to find buttons, etc, on the screen to click
on.
.
 Homepage: http://hoopajoo.net/projects/xautomation.html
 Author:   Steve Slaven <address@hidden>

The "xte" program may be precisely what you're looking for, though I'm
going to have to find a use for
visgrep - Visual grep, greps for images in another image
too :-)

On 8/17/06, Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any other way to implement keyboard macros with ratpoison?  Does anyone else
> see a need for this, or are you just content to remap keys in every
> application you use?  What do you do if you don't like the keys in an
> application that doesn't have that feature?  Just deal with it is NOT an
> acceptable answer... if I wanted my computer to tell me how I'm going to use
> it I'd still be using Windows.

I think that should read "If you wanted your computer to tell you how
you're going to use it POORLY you'd still be using windows." Around
here we tell you what to do and think too, but the difference is you
like it.

Lately I've become a fan of writing small standalone X programs that
get the job done. There's an X extension called TestFakeKey or
something. It generates key events but clients can't tell they're fake.

This is a commented out line from actions.c. Once upon a time we tried
to use it in ratpoison but it was too hairy.

  /*   XTestFakeKeyEvent (dpy, XKeysymToKeycode (dpy, 't'), True, 0); */

I'd recommend writing a tiny little program that takes, say, a string
of characters at the command line and generates fake key events with
them. Seems straight forward enough. I'll hack it up at some point if
you don't beat me to it. Seems like it could be useful and
interesting.

-Shawn