Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Can I backup to local AND remote in one operati

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Can I backup to local AND remote in one operation?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:49:48 -0700

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:33:05 -0700 Alan <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a similar situation, except that it's me being paranoid, but more
> about hard drives going than buildings burning down.  Having multiple
> targets would be handy, though you'd still have to pass the actual data
> twice, so it'd be more a convenience for scripting than anything else.
> I just have two rdiff-backup lines in my backup script :)

Yes, in theory it should be possible to avoid two passes of all the
data, but I don't think it's possible right now, because the original
information acquired about how files were changed is lost after the
first session.  (Dave Kelly's rsync idea doesn't do two passes of the
source directory, but an equivalent amount of data ends up getting
read.)

Traditional backup formats (as opposed to mirror+reverse increments)
are much better at this, because each session just adds a few new
increment files, which can be copied straightforwardly to other
targets.

BTW, that --remove-older-than 3B stuff is in CVS, but won't be put in
0.12.x.

--
Ben Escoto