Re: [rdiff-backup-users] compare: ignore ctime

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] compare: ignore ctime
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:05:52 -0600

> We are now using rdiff-backup on our debian fileserver without any real
> problems.
>
> Our daily backup of ca. 1.2TB starts at 1:00am and lasts for 43 hours.
> As 43 hours are more than a day, this is our problem.
>
> rdiff-backup detects half of the files (395041 files with 567GB) as
> changed, but rdiff-backups "Increment FileSize" is only 5GB.
> The only thing that has changed on most of this files is their ctime. So
> rdiff-backup works fine and correct.

Actually rdiff-backup already ignores ctime, so that isn't your
problem :-)

(The reason it does this is simply because a lot of the existing
automatic tests depend on a successful rdiff-backup mirror comparing
correctly to the source.  This is impossible if ctimes are compared,
since rdiff-backup can't set ctimes either.)

So anyway, the problem isn't ctimes.  How can you figure out why
rdiff-backup thinks a file has changed?  One way is to find a file you
think hasn't changed, and compare its records in two consecutive
mirror_metadata files.  (Note that there is no ctime information in
the mirror_metadata file.)

--
Ben Escoto