[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency

From: shorvath
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup file consistency
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 04:36:29 -0700

So I've been giving obnam a quick test drive and although it does look very
interesting it seems that the backups are not accessible in the way an rsync
backup is.
The advantage with rsync, at least in my case, is that in the even of a total
disaster, I am able to serve my backups as a usable replacement.
Rdiff-backup is similar in the sense that at least the most recent backup can
be offered to clients in the same manner and with the rdiff-backup fuse module
increments can also be accessed, the same goes for backuppc with the help of a
fuse module.
I can't see anyway of doing this (that I can see, but I may be wrong) with
obnam.
If this is the case then obnam is not a viable solution for me.
I hope I'm wrong as it does look promising.
What's important to me is
a) backups are verified
b) can be presented at anytime (Even if it's read only) in the event of a
disaster.

Is anyone using zfs-on-linux here? (http://zfsonlinux.org/)
I know I can use solaris/openindiana/eon or freebsd but we are a linux house
and I need to keep things consistent.