Re: Version Woes

From: ewl+rdiffbackup
Subject: Re: Version Woes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 07:33:41 +0200

Hi Brian,

thanks, that's a lot of feedback, so also a lot of feedback from me ;-)

On 17/04/2020 06:06, Brian Bouterse wrote:
> Also the curl and run the python script to install pip method is pretty
> official, but it's kind of scary. Instead I used the pip3 package with:
> sudo apt install python3-pip
> After that I could run `pip3 freeze` for example, to confirm it works

Installing from package is always better than from "random" script. If
pip3 is packaged, we should use it.

> Instead of virtualenv I used venv which for python3 I believe is preferred
> (I think virtualenv is deprecated). To get that installed and the venv

Don't tell this the virtualenv developers :-) (pyenv is deprecated)
See https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/latest/
As virtualenv is developed by pypa and tox as well, we should continue
to use virtualenv to get consistent results (even though venv will most
probably work as fine for this specific use case, but not for tests).

> created I did this:
> sudo apt-get install python3-venv
> sudo python3 -m venv /opt/rdiff-backup2
>
> I did need apt install libacl1-dev, but on my system I also needed
> librsync-dev so I installed those along with Python3 dev using
> sudo apt install python3-dev libacl1-dev librsync-dev
> Without librsync-dev rdiff-backup wouldn't compile, and without
> libacl1-dev, pylibacl wouldn't compile.
>
> At that point this command did work:
> sudo /opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install rdiff-backup pyxattr pylibacl but
> it couldn't build the wheel, it gave this error:
>
>   error: invalid command 'bdist_wheel'
>
> That was resolved with `/opt/rdiff-backup2/bin/pip3 install wheel`. After
> that the following command completed with no errors:
[...]
> https://www.piwheels.org/simple/pyxattr/pyxattr-0.7.1-cp35-cp35m-linux_armv7l.whl

Yes, your issues were mainly because you have a non-x86 platform. I'm
not sure which version of the docs you used, but Patrik has very
recently added the dependency to librsync-dev in such cases, but only in
the README file. Perhaps we should also explicitly list ARM and/or Raspi
to make it clearer.

Side note: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/multi-cpu-architectures/ - we
could also build arm64 images using Travis...

We definitely missed the wheel dependency and it should be added.

> Your symlink instructions to put it onto my path worked and my local 1.9.0
> client (Fedora) successfully backed up my pypi based Debian install (2.0.0).

Why are you using 1.9.0 on Fedora? The COPR repo from Frank and PyPI
should provide 2.0.0, and 1.9.0 is the beta of 2.0.0. I'm also on Fedora
and use 2.0.0 without issue.

> Do you want any of this sent to you as a PR to your guide? Or maybe the
> centos instructions too? What repo and branch is the best to open the PR
> against? Also what version formally because the Python3 version?

As Patrik is still working on the migration guide [314], you should make
it out with him, but in general, we develop from master and there is
only one repo, and a developer's guide [1].

KR, Eric

[314] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/pull/314
[1] https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/blob/master/docs/DEVELOP.md