Re: Version Woes

From: Tomas Pospisek
Subject: Re: Version Woes
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 07:59:44 +0200

On 28.04.20 19:44, Derek Atkins wrote:

> On Tue, April 28, 2020 12:36 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> [snip]
>>> You talk about Fedora 20, but if you stay on the Fedora builds, python2
>>> no longer supported, and shortly won't even be available.
>>
>> Are you sure?  Fedora-32, just released today, still has Python 2.
>
> And to follow up to this, not only does F32 have Python 2.7, it also has
> Python 2.6!  So I don't think Python 2 is going away any time soon.

Python 2 has been officially declared "end of life":

https://www.python.org/doc/sunset-python-2/

Python is only "not going away" in the sense that you can not erase the
past and that still existing remainders of it are not being aggressively
deleted. But in most other meanings of that phrase, in particular those
related to software, I think one *can* robustly say that "Python 2 *is*
going away".
*t