repo-criteria-discuss

self-hosting forge software

From: bill-auger
Subject: self-hosting forge software
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 03:54:33 -0400

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:54:07 -0500 Richard wrote:
> Would you like to write a brief description of self-hosting options
> that exist now?
>
> One question is, what computer facilities do you need to set up,
> or rent, in order to use them.

i have enough data to write an extensive report - we evaluated
about a dozen of them very thoroughly, as potential replacements
for the current notabug software

https://wiki.freephile.org/wiki/Comparison_of_git_hosting_options

for hosting, any *nix-like system would suffice; so any VPS
provider would be suitable - i would especially emphasize
avoiding those if possible, and preferring a local hardware
option though, such as the user-friendly olimex "freedombox"

now, i know that GNU would not like to suggest using non-FSDG
distros; so that puts most VPS rental services out of the
question (i do know of two though) - the freedombox system is
based on debian; but if there were sufficient enthusiasm about
it, especially from GNU or FSF, freedombox could be ported to a
FSDG distro - myself and denis ('gnutoo') have been discussing
doing so, recently