reproduce-devel

[task #15942] Removing Metastore from Maneage

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15942] Removing Metastore from Maneage
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:49:16 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #15942 (project reproduce):

Thanks Boud, if you feel it can still be useful we can keep it. Just as a
small note, based on my experience so far, its not necessary to keep two
builds to checkout between branches ;-).

In the main task definition, I forgot to mention task #15363 (titled "Better
solution to restoring file dates after Git checkout"). That task was defined
for two reasons:

* What meta-store does can easily be done in a simple shell script that stores
the database in plain-text (and thus better visible in Git).
* In Maneage, we are actually using my fork of Metastore, not the main work.

So hopefully once we implement task #15363, we can also remove the need for
meta-store.

One of the reasons for this task is that after more than 2 years of my fork,
and the Github pull-request, the Metastore maintainer finally replied
<https://github.com/przemoc/metastore/pull/49> and thinks that the added
features aren't useful for it. So we need to maintain our own separate fork if
we want to continue using it (which can be annoying).

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15942>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/