rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Re:modified scripts Suggestion: Keep mount info

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Re:modified scripts Suggestion: Keep mount info
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:10:31 -0700

Hi Chris, and all.

From: "chris clark" <address@hidden>

While you're tweaking, how about keeping mount info?

That's a great idea!

If I recall correctly, during installs, the
 partitioning stage forgets mount points. Is this unavoidable?

I don't know about normal circumstances, but I'm sure that we can do something about it. I could put a script on the second disk, then ask the user to execute it. The script would then add it to install.conf, by using cat, grep, and/or grep -v.

Ideally, I'd like it to be able to detect the old
mount points whenever I install over an existing
linux system, but if that's impractical, is it at least
possible to remember long enough to back up
and reallocate partitions during install?

When installing over an existing linux system, why
not attempt to read /etc/fstab?

That would be a good idea. I don't like repartitioning and formating either. It may be wise to format to get rid of old info, but we shouldn't have to do it over and over.

we could try mounting each linux partition as if it were either / or etc, and look for fstab.

Is this a reasonable idea?

I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, but Michael already made use of the pivot_root command and chroot command. These are used after mounting the hard drive(s).

I'll keep a copy of your suggestions until I add them to my version of the installer.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong