Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:14:27 +0000

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 08:49:16PM -0500, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> We could consider spending a measly $11.88/yr or whatever it is that
> it costs to get a domain, and register some completely new domain name
> for the non-gnu savannah stuff.  Like savannahsource.org appears to be
> available (I'm certainly not asserting that savannahsource.org is the
> best possible name, though).

I like that proposal. Having a single domain with two branches "gnu" and
"non-gnu" will discourage some that will feel discriminated if their software
is not considered "gnu", while some others will try very hard to have their
software be an official GNU package when it clearly should not be.

The two domains can be in subversions which is easier than having to
implement everything in two machines, as Loic has pointed out; and the filter
"gnu", "non-gnu" would still be there in a more subtle way; without saying
"this is not part of GNU" in the second case, but rather "this is a Free
Software project hosted at Savannah". Projects would only have to be evaluated
in terms of licenses to be accepted into the second domain.

Another useful feature that attracts developers to sourceforge.net is that
their projects get a nice URL of the type project.sourceforge.net. If we
register savannah.org (or savannahsource.org) we could then have subdomains of
the type project.savannah.org and configure Apache to recognize all those
virtual domains.

Jaime